Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Make a Singed Flower Hairpiece with Satin & Tulle

One of my closest friends got married this summer, and she asked me to make her a flower hairpiece for her wedding. I felt honored that she wanted to wear one of my handmade flowers on such an important day in her life, so of course, I agreed.

To give me an idea of what she wanted, she sent me photos of flower hairpieces she liked, and she asked that I use purple fabric to match her wedding colors. She absolutely loved it, and it looked so beautiful in her wavy brownish-blonde hair.


Here's how to make one:

You need:
Satin and tulle
Button with beads and rhinestones
Thread, the same color as your fabric
Scissors
Candles and matches
Felt, the same color as your fabric
Hair clip
Hot glue gun

First, cut your fabric into the shape of a flower. I made my flowers different sizes, so that I would have larger petals for the outside of the flower and smaller petals for the center. You can print out this flower and use it as a template. In Microsoft Word, you can change its size.



Now, use a candle to carefully singe/melt the edges of your petals. Do not get too close to the flame because your edges will curl too much and you could even catch the fabric on fire. Trim off any black edges that you don't like.

Next, layer your petals until you like how they look. Place your button with beads in the center of your flower. With a needle and thread, sew the button and layers together.

Cut two circles out of the felt. Make sure they are the same size. Glue one of the circles to the back of the flower. Cut two slits into the other felt circle and slip in the hair clip. Glue that circle to the other circle.

Congratulations! You've created a flower hairpiece!