Saturday, January 5, 2013

"Love Where You Live" String Art

My friend absolutely loves her hometown of Portland, Oregon, so for Christmas, I made her a wooden plaque of her home state with a heart around Portland using nails and string. I came up with the idea after reading Our Mini Family's blog.


To make one, here is what you need:
Wooden plaque
Acrylic Paint (I chose green and brown to match the trees of Oregon. Choose whatever colors match your state)
Paint brushes
Nails
Map of the state
Kite string

To start, I painted the wooden plaque green with brown trim to match the beautiful trees of lovely Oregon. Then, I searched for a map of Oregon online and printed it out. I taped the map to the plaque and hammered nails around the edges of the map. With a pencil, I drew a heart on the map around Portland. I then hammered the nails around the heart shape. After I was done, I removed the paper map. I tied a piece of kite string to one of the nails and began weaving it until I had the pattern I desired. Be creative with the pattern. For the final step, I cut the string and tied it around a nail. When I gave my friend the gift, she loved it! 



I hope you have fun making your state!