Monday, January 7, 2013

How To Make Glue to Seal A Handmade Envelope

For my greeting card business on Etsy, I make my own handmade envelopes from scrapbook paper, newspaper or book pages. I seal my envelopes with a homemade glue, which is easy to make. I simply mix together white vinegar, unflavored gelatin and vanilla extract on my stovetop.

What you need:
6 tablespoons white vinegar
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

What to do:
Bring the vinegar to a boil. Add the packet of unflavored gelatin and stir until its dissolved. Add the vanilla extract and stir. Then, take the pan off the stove. Before the mixture has a chance to cool, brush a thin layer onto the back of the envelope flap using a paint brush. Let it dry. Now, whenever you're ready to mail your envelope, lick the flap to seal it. Works perfectly every time!