Sunday, January 6, 2013

Turn a Teacup into a Bird Feeder

Right before Christmas, my friend and her fiancé bought a home together with a large, beautiful backyard. My friend loves to spend time outdoors reading and gardening, so I wanted to give her a housewarming/Christmas gift that she could enjoy in her new yard. Since she also loves vintage pieces, I decided to make her a bird feeder out of a teacup and saucer.



I purchased a teacup, with gold trim and light pink and orange flowers, at a local antique store. I wanted the teacup to be elevated off the ground, so I bought a 3-ft copper plumbing pipe and a cap at a hardware store. First, I glued the teacup to the saucer using Glass and Bead Adhesive, and then I glued the cap to the bottom of the saucer. After the glue dried, I screwed the cap onto the pipe. It was that simple!

When I gave her the gift, I also included a bag of bird seed. She loved it, and I was so excited with how it turned out that I decided to make one for myself.